Referral Banners
Picture Hanging Systems, the best way to hang your pictures! Easy online ordering, fast shipping. Zapals Global Online Shopping
button
Home (JAGeZe)

Monday, November 14, 2011

The EU and migrant workers


Isn't it strange that with the present economic climate and high unemployment in Europe, there are still a considerable number of migrant workers from outside the EU working in Europe. I appreciate that in some situations they are filling vacancies which couldn't otherwise be filled due to a Europe wide skills shortage in some industries/professions, it seems to me however, that some international companies are taking advantage in some countries and using these migrant workers at the cost of European workers, often paying these people substantially less!

I was a victim of this a couple of years ago! I was unemployed and via contacts I became aware of an IT vacancy at Elsevier in Amsterdam. I applied, went for an interview, which went really well, later being told the vacancy had been withdrawn for budgetary reasons. I found out that an Indian migrant had been given the position – strange, because I was well established in Amsterdam, speaking fluent Dutch. I've also since found out from an acquaintance that there are a considerable number of Indians and Bengalis currently being employed there. Whilst not being a racist, it would appear here that Elsevier aren't exactly playing fair!

No comments:

Post a Comment